GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Monday, August 14, 2017

Clip Joint: "I know that you know..."



Thanks to Kathi Carey who unearthed eight Clip Joint episode masters and digitized them, they can now be seen--I'd forgotten about so many of these segments!

This segment came about because J.T. lost his voice one evening--I'll let him tell it. I regret to say I can't recall the name of the actress in the scene.

"Stephen taught us to take whatever situations that others might label 'big problems' or 'disasters' and work them into the narrative so that the project would ALWAYS finish on time and with story-line integrity.

One of my favorite moments occurred on a cold January afternoon. A mild throat irritation escalated to a SEVERE case of laryngitis on my way to the studio. I arrived on set without a voice. Stephen was directing the show and took my condition in stride. 'This is not a problem,' he said and promptly adjusted the scene so that whispered dialogue became the new and essential ingredient of our action. No one seeing that scene today would suspect that I couldn't speak.

We who had the privilege of being a part of the New Hollywood System left with invaluable tools for use in film and television as well as the consummate professional's attitude and capability. We could put a finished film together in a week or a full half-hour for television in a day. It was exhilarating, enriching, enlightening and ennobling."

J.T. Grimm. Actor/Writer

No comments: